Saturday, June 11, 2011

A time warp to get you up to speed...

So much has happened in the last 2 months.



I became a mother for the second time to a second beautiful daughter.





I found out my child might be blind when she was four weeks old. Two days later I found out she would not be blind but would need surgery and vision therapy. I held her in my arms for hours and hours in the hospital after double-cataract surgery when she was six-weeks old.



I bought a watch and set an alarm to go off every hour to remind me to put drops into her eyes for nearly three weeks. I held her as we put custom-made contact lenses in her eyes a few days ago, on her nine-week birthday, as she saw for the first time in her life.

It has been amazing to see the difference in her as the vision center in her brain begins to develop and she starts to make sense of the sensory input. I can hardly wait for her new, stronger lenses to arrive so that she can see my face, see me smiling at her, and have her learn how to smile back. My heart skips just to think on it.

It amazes me how even in utero I could tell how different she would be from Lyric, how special she would be... and to watch it unfold already is both beautiful and amazing. To see the deep love Lyric has always shown for her, despite all the boring doctor's visits and unintentional attention stealing... how she loves to kiss her and make up songs about how they love each other... it makes a mother's heart feel physically larger.

We've got a long road ahead of us as far as all this vision stuff is concerned. But we are lucky; her affliction is something that can be worked with and 'fixed' for the most part. Many parents receive much more difficult news to bear. Story Jane is a very special little girl, and I am overwhelmed at how lucky I am to have her as my very own.

1 comment: