Friday, January 1, 2010

2010, Resistance, and resolutions

2010 Came in with a bang at our place! Not really. We "celebrated" by watching three episodes of LOST while knitting (yes, DH was knitting, too--a cowl for me! Yay!) and enjoying some really good wine. THEN we got to really celebrate by changing the linens on our bed where the DD, who was completely wrecked by the excitement of the last two days, had a bit of an accident. Very unlike her, but most kids her age are still in diapers, so I really can't complain.

We had a wonderful Christmakah miracle here! We were gearing up to have our first Christmas without friends and family. I was trying not to let it get to me, look at it as the beginning of our family's own traditions rather than on being far away from everyone we love. The Wednesday morning before Christmas I got a call from my sister. She was stranded at Chicago O'Hare. No planes to MSP due to weather. Could she try to get her tickets transfered to NYC? Duh! She was in building being knocked over by her very excited nice by 2 pm. We loved having her for four short days!

My sister, the DH and I had a really great discussion during her visit about our goals for 2010. Many of my goals have to do with this great book I just read called "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield. I highly recommend it. It is the type of book that came at just the right time, creating a perfect storm and, I think, changing my life. Creating a shokabuku of sorts (I'm not going to even try to spell that). 2010 is the year that I will be conscious of, and fight, Resistance. I've already started to write again. I feel like a new person. I'm doing my 'work.' Even if it doesn't matter to anyone but me (and God), it matters to me (and my relationship with God and others). Therefore it is paramount.

I get so frustrated with the mundane in life. I am an ENFP and suspect I've got a little ADD thrown into the mix. All this to say, I'm not one for repetitious tasks, or the mundane. I'd rather die. Any time I am doing the daily same-old same-old I can't shake the feeling that I am watching my life waste away before my very eyes. But when I get my work done (understand, I mean the work I was made to do, not the myriad things on my to-do list), it makes me feel like the whole day was worth living, dishes and all. The tedious becomes less tiresome.

I want to be more deliberate. More deliberate in my 'work'--my art. More deliberate in my marriage--not letting things slide, letting inertia take over. Making sure to 'date' my DH, even when there is little time or money--picnics in the living room, whatever it takes. More deliberate in my relationship with the Monkey. She is exhausting, and she is wonderful. I can't afford to miss it. I can't afford to miss any of it. Here is to embracing and seizing. And Grace. Always, always, Grace.

Much love and peace to you in 2010. I have a feeling it's going to rock.

Usually the New Year seems arbitrary to me, but this year is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment